Somethings missing

I lay there awake, 2am, fantasizing of twisty mountain roads, desert black top stretching miles ahead and the warm breaze whistling through my ears. I walk to my garage to find it empty. I curse the 60 degree day in the dead of winter. I long for the throttle in my hand, the thunderous roar of my Harley-Davidson and the thrill of the open road. Life of a biker without a bike.
             Yeah, I know, its for the better. I'll get her back with a fresh motor, paint and even working lights...weird! But, that doesn't mean I have to like it. The flip-side of this though is that at least I know I'll be in a comfortable bed each night. Life on the road isn't so predictable. There comes a point in everyday where you have to figure out where exactly you will be laying your head that night.  If you aren't careful you will find the sun below the horizon and your self on a lonely road with quickly falling temperatures. But, if you use our head and your map you just might find yourself camped out on the side of a hill watching the most incredible sunset while enjoying the warmth of a campfire. I can tell you from experience that the latter is the preferred option.  This being said I can also tell you that with the proper equipment it is possible to make yourself comfortable almost anywhere, even that parking lot in Boise, Idaho!  Sure, It looks bohemian to have your Mexican blanket, tarp and oversized sleeping bag strapped awkwardly to your bike but it makes about as much sense as off roading in a Mazda Miata. Over the years those sun burnt granola eating mountaineers got it figured out with light weight, durable camping gear that works as well on Mt Everest as it does set up on the side of a dusty desert road or interstate rest area. With the evolution in sleeping pads, bags and tents it is very possible to pack small and light allowing room for other creature comforts. I'm speaking of food beyond beef jerky, liquids, camp stoves upon which to actually cook a warm meal and make a hot cup of coffee in the morning. The last few years I've been using a Jet Boil, a simple system that combines a burner, cup and even a french press. Using a small fuel canister it is easy to use, heats water and other food quickly and is easy to store.  There have been countless cold evenings spent heating chili and drinking hot tea to warm myself after a cold day of riding then followed in the morning by a hot cup of coffee to start the day right. As far as camping equipment goes, I use an MSR tent. MSR is known for there mountaineering equipment, therefore not cheap but extremely durable, small and light. My 3 person tent, using a compression sack, compresses down to about the size of a football!  Thats a three person tent with a rain fly!  The poles also fold down small and can be strapped to virtually anything. Sleep pads now pack as small as a mason jar and and sleeping bags not much bigger then that. Let REI be your friend when it comes to preparing for your next trip. There equipment is top notch, employees knowledgeable and return policy beyond compare...and no, I don't work for them. Now, after all that I will admit that a lot of this equipment isn't cheap. Here's how I look at it- If I spend a few extra bucks for the good stuff i'll be more comfortable, won't be frustrated with low quality gear that doesn't work right and I can more easily avoid hotel rooms...Therefore saving money in the long run and keeping me on the road longer.  I can ride a long ways on the cost of one hotel room.  Check it out, it just might make a difference on your next trip!   





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Paris to Portugal to Italy to Germany

Southbound and Down

Where in the world are we?