Almost broke down in Maine

In effort to tell some "stories from the road" here's a quick one from when I was back up in Maine this spring. It started out by noticing that my foot clutch was feeling pretty loose, loose as in barely engaging. So, there I was cruising north on highway 1 along the coast when I noticed that my clutch wasnt feeling right. I'd step on it and the clutch would barely engage. looking down at the cable as i'm  cruising along I realize that the problem is in the cable...its barely there!

Quickly deciding that stopping, therefore having to step on the clutch, is probably a bad idea, especially considering that I am no where near a town.  Pressing on, not shifting, I do eventually find a town and quickly spot an auto parts store, seems like a good spot to stop.  I went in, explained my situation and asked if there might be somebody in town that could help. The nice fellow directed me to the "red" auto repair shop a few miles up the road, a little vague but worth a shot. Climbing back on the bike I very gently engaged the clutch, popped it into first and eased my way back onto the road. cruising slowly down the road I kept my eyes peeled for this "red" repair shop, sure enough, I did find it.  Upon arriving I quickly drew the attention of the guys working away and started asking for help, trying to impress upon them the bad situation I was about to be in if it completely broke.  Unfortunately, they werent able to help either.  This was turning into an uncomfortable situation.  The guys working directed me to yet another shop, directions being even more vague then the first, "go to the top of the third hill you come to, turn left on the dirt road and it's up on your right...kinda off the road a bit, I think there's a sign" seriously, this is what he told me.  Off I went with the directions fully assuming I would get lost and quickly eaten by a bear. But, again, I managed to find the place.  I felt better the moment I rolled in and noticed that the muddy parking lot actually had motorcycles in it.  Again, I explained my situation, explained to them that I had in fact ridden from colorado (to there surprise) and was finally greated with a "roll it on it, we'll get you fixed up".  I did just that. I pushed the bike into there shop, pulled out my tools and started dissambling the broken clutch cable.  Of course, being a specialty cable there was no way he was going to have one so it was time to get creative.  We tried soldering a new end on it multiple times with no success so changed our game plan.  We came out with sorta loop kinda set up.  After digging through bins of nuts, bolts, washers and other random parts we finally came up with something we thought might actually work, and it did!  Ok, time to pay this guy and get back on the road!  I packed my tools, got ready to go and asked him what I owed him. His response was surprising considering we had both worked on this thing for almost two hours and used one of his clutch cables, he said "nothing, we are glad we could help. You've ridden a long way to get here so just keep on going" . I handed him $100.  Im always amazed at how helpful folks are when they hear what you are out doing!  As I started the bike, he got out his camera to take some photos, he said his friends   would never believe his story about me without evidence, kinda cracked me up!  And that was it, I rolled out and headed over to Bar Harbor for a lobster roll, I think I deserved it after that day!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Paris to Portugal to Italy to Germany

Southbound and Down

Where in the world are we?